A wire-to-wire win for the Europeans in the Solheim Cup. Convincing, although maybe at times in doubt, a great finish to the ultimate team event in ladie’s golf.
From rookies like County Cavan, Ireland’s finest Leona MaGuire to veterans like Anna Norqvist, this was a masterclass in gaining an early advantage and keeping the momentum going until the last putt is holed.
The final score will show a 15-13 win in the matches for the Europeans (as well as the second victory in the last three events conducted on American soil). What gets a bit lost are some of the side stories both during the event, and especially preceding the matches in Toledo, OH.
Have a quick look at one of Europe’s “elder stateswomen” and her lesson in perseverance:
- American born, German dual citizen, played her amateur golf at USC in Los Angeles
- announcer for the German broadcast team for the 2015 Solheim Cup
- played Symetra Tour between 2016-2020, missed 2019 LPGA qualifying by one stroke
- won three events on the Cactus Tour in 2020 (an Arizona mini tour) to gain status
- won the 2020 AIG Women’s Open (ranked as the 304th player in the world)
- Has openly spoke of struggling with confidence and quitting golf repeatedly
Perseverance is never a bad quality to have. And that goes for the victorious Euros as well as the gallant American competitors.
The best part of watching the Solheim Cup all weekend was nudging our buddies and noting what a great fit they would be on our local foursomes in a two-on-two match or with a large team and who’s ass they would kick.
And, fellas, don’t worry, their drives that only go 280 yards won’t be too embarrassing (for them, of course). You will get there by your second shot...if you ignore your foot wedge out of the trees and the mulligan after your topped drive.
What a grand week for women’s golf, team golf, golf, hell, sport in general. This was an event to be applauded and the folks swinging the clubs and cajoling them on should be lauded for putting on an event that rightfully overshadowed the gentlemen’s cash grab in East Lake over the weekend
Ole, Ole, Ole to the Solheim Cup!