We love when it rains sideways at The Open Championship—it was hard watching the pros stroll around in short sleeves and smiles. Boring!
🖕 Tyrell Hatton is our new favourite foul mouthed golfer
💰 Morikawa's first 50 tournament's has netted some bank
🍺 Hit up these pubs while in St. Andrew's
⛳️ Justin Rose seen hitting buttery new irons
Major Moments Worth Major Money!
The PGA Tour partnered with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to create a new and vast viewing experience.
The idea, to eventually have the ability to show every shot hit in a golf tournament that is being broadcast as well as create a “data lake” of archived material from the past century of the PGA Tour.
There may be more to this than meets the eye.
Enter the world of non-fungible tokens. An NFT acts as a non-duplicable digital certificate of ownership for any assigned digital asset.
In layman's terms, own 10 seconds of Tiger Woods infamy as a video highlight.
We are purely speculating here but what does this all mean? Well, you could buy and sell some of golf’s greatest shots and moments. Think of some of the more memorable shots, where does your mind go:
- Oh wow, in your life have you seen anything like that?
- Maybe…yes sir!
- The Bear has come out of hibernation
- A simple “Hello Friends”
As a fan of the game, you could actually own these memories in a tangible manner with the possibility of selling your collectible for cold hard cash.
While that thought is certainly tantalizing, one thing that is not immediately apparent, many of these shots are from events that are not “property” of the PGA Tour per se. Many of these “greatest ever” shots and memories are all found with golf’s other “property curators”:
- Augusta National (The Masters...sooooo many to choose from)
- The Royal & Ancient (Peter Jacobsen tackles streaker)
- The USGA (Tiger ties...2008 US Open)
- The PGA (Ian Poulter's crazy eyes...Ryder Cup)
One large event that would be on board is The Player’s Championship which has had its share of remarkable moments:
- Better than most
- Be the right club today…yes!
While there may not be much of a digital market for your back foot, quail high slice into a gaggle of geese, but know full well that there will be—eventually— a market to own and monetize great and memorable shots from the world’s finest golfers.
- Love Letter to St. Andrews: The Golf Channel has a two hour documentary "St. Andrews: The Greatest Golf Story Ever Told," has dozens of historians, experts, golfers, exploring the history of golf at the famed Open course. It takes guys 5 plus hours to play 18 holes, how do you speak on the history of golf at St. Andrews in 2 hours?
- We spoke too soon: Kevin Kisner played the final round of The Open by himself and finished over an hour in front of the group behind him. Thinking he doesn't like to use public restrooms and needed to rush home after that second coffee.
- More than we made: here's how much each player took home at The Open Championship.
- First 50: Collin Morikawa's first 50 tournament's as a pro is something to behold. Taking a shot of PBR every time you make a bogey is also something to behold...if you're still standing on the 18th green.
- Tyrrell Hatton's Open: was very different than Collin Morikawa's. After seeing his "disgusting behaviour" we immediately sent him an invitation to join our Men's League. We're also making him our official Mascot.
- Winter travel: if you're headed south this winter...here are some golf courses to hit up in Florida. We'll send out the menu for the 4:30pm blue plate dinner special in a later newsletter.
- Get your tickets...maybe!: wanna head to the 2022 Open Championship at St. Andrew's...add your name to the lottery here. If this is anything like the Master lottery, we'll expect to see proof that you DIDN'T get tickets plastered all over your social media.
- Hit this pub up if you do win: here is a list of the best pubs in St. Andrew's. Graylyn Loomis has them separated into several different categories so you don't yourself in a pub that's not up to your standards. I also think Graylyn just listed all the pubs in St. Andrew's
PIC OF THE DAY
Sean Connery auditioned for Gilligan's Island. They didn't like the way he looked in a bucket hat. He made the hat look too small. Plus he also looked too much like Thurston Howell III.
The Man Of The Hour: Collin Morikawa!!!
We find it really interesting that he isn't carrying a 7 OR 9 wood in the bag. We'll have to rethink our setup.
Driver: TaylorMade SIM (8 degrees)
3-wood: TaylorMade SIM Titanium (14 degrees)
5-wood: TaylorMade SIM2 (19 degrees)
Irons: TaylorMade P770 (4), P7MC (5-9), TaylorMade P730 (PW)
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 (50 degrees), Titleist Vokey Design SM8 (56-14F), TaylorMade MG2 Hi-Toe (60 degrees)
Putter: TaylorMade TP Juno
Ball: TaylorMade TP5 (2021)
INSIDE THE ROPES
Paul Azinger commentary lit up the twitter-verse on Sunday.
From mistaking Louis as a geriatric and Conners as a world class putter, it seemed as though Zinger was the one with early onset dementia.
Non-Existent Mizuno Pro 221 irons, exist.
Justin Rose, who is not tied to any club manufacturer was playing a Mizuno iron that just popped up on the USGA conforming list earlier last week. Two other models accompanied the 221's.
*not a sponsored post
If you're enjoying The Starter Shack share with a friend....we would appreciate it as much as a members bounce.
Did a smart good-looking friend share this? Want to read more?