Billy Horschel spoke highly of the quality of the BMW Championship at Wentworth this past weekend, comparing it in quality and history to the PGA Tour’s Players Championship.
As Judge Smails once uttered - “Oh, Billy, Billy, Billy. This is a biggie!” Smails, you were correct, and you’re still a terrific slouch.
Barule, err, Horschel, after pleasing the golf gods, went on to win the event with a nugget of wedge on the 72nd hole:
- first American winner of the BMW PGA Championship since Arnie in 1975
- Currently in 4th place for the Race to Dubai (could be the first American to win it ever)
- Passed over for the Ryder Cup
- He may be the 13th man for Team USA at the Ryder Cup
As William noted, the BMW PGA Championship is a big deal, in fact it is no slouch (terrific or not)
- Long considered the crown jewel of European Tour events
- Besides the World Tour Championship, it draws the best field annually
- The last event for earning Ryder Cup qualifying points
European players take umbrage at the fact that it falls so close to the Ryder Cup. This would be akin to playing the Masters over Thanksgiving weekend; folks will still show up and play, but it takes some luster away from the proceedings.
Speaking of Augusta, the club that hosts the BMW PGA is also no slouch, in fact, Wentworth Golf Club is considered British elite; shorts that are bit too tight in the seat.
- European Tour headquarters onsite
- Hosted the World Match Play Championship (1967-2007), 1953 Ryder Cup
- Home of the BMW PGA Championship since 1984
Wentworth shares a zip code with Windsor Castle
If you are looking to join the club, make sure to bring some form of certified cheque. The new Chinese-backed owner of Wentworth looking to create an “Augusta of the UK” requires a £150K debenture on top of a stunning annual due of £13K.
Rich, snobby elitist clubs aside, we still really appreciate Horschel and his desire to play more golf in the UK.
He’s playing the Dunhill Links event with his old man as part of his 70th birthday gift. Sorry, Dad, you will have to make due with the gift card to Sizzler and the new pair of socks we got you this year.